The solar industry in Australia is booming. Over 2 million households are now reaping the benefits of solar, with that number growing exponentially. Like any rapidly growing industry, it is important to be vigilant when picking a supplier.
In order to help consumers to identify best practice in the solar industry, the Clean Energy Council (CEC) has introduced its Solar Retailer Code of Conduct and an Approved Solar Retailer list for the companies that have passed their rigorous tests. On the list you will, of course, find ShineHub!
The CEC created this program because there are lots of solar companies who aren’t doing things the right way – often referred to as the ‘solar cowboys’ – and they all seem to pop up whenever there is a solar boom. These are a few key things that customers have been burned by in the past:
- New start-up businesses trading with no industry experience or expertise:
- Everyone loves a bandwagon. Our rapidly growing industry is full of inexperienced solar businesses entering the market without the skills and knowledge required to guarantee quality and assurance. Beware of those looking to make a quick buck without the expertise!
- Misleading sales and marketing practices:
- Some businesses will claim their solar systems will produce an incredible amount power, but when you check the fine print you will find they are referencing ‘longer sun-exposed’ locations nothing like your rooftop. For example, some products sold in Melbourne list rates from a Darwin installation.
- Adjusting confirmed pricing following the cooling off period:
- Some retailers have been known to ‘bait and switch’ or change their pricing without warning and refuse to refund deposits.
- Businesses performing unqualified works then closing down to evade any warranty and insurance issues:
- Over the years, we’ve seen many a solar businesses make sales, perform less than standard installations, close down once enough of a profit was made and eventually remerge under a new business name. Why, you ask? To avoided warranty claims against their shonky work. If you fall victim to one of these scams, your 10-year warranty would be null and void.
If you are looking to engage with a solar company, selecting one from the CEC’s Approved Solar Retailer list will allow you to rest easy knowing that you won’t fall victim to any of these shonky practices.
We’re proud to announce that after rigorous back checking, testing and investigation by the CEC, ShineHub was honoured to receive the ‘best practice’ CEC Approved Retailer stamp of approval.
ShineHub delivers a first class experience, without the price tag. Through the development of highly efficient software and our price slashing community bulk buys, we are able to provide some of the most affordable offerings on the market without compromising on quality.
If the CEC’s list was anything like Uber Eats, it would look something like this:
On-par quality with the best in the business, but a dramatically lower price point.
In the past, people have had to choose between a reputable, high quality company or a low price point. That’s why we created ShineHub – to bring you the best of both worlds, powered by smart software and people-powered group buying discounts.
The CEC’s Approved Retailer List identifies solar companies offering class-leading, high quality products and services. Basically, it lists the crème de la crème of the solar industry.